All Dressed Up

12:54 AM

Hello, hello!

Guess who's back. This post has just been waiting to be written. Really, I should have done it months ago. But you know how it is, things get busy, you're lazy and time flies by. But here it is! The second part of my DIY summer. (Here's the first part if you happened to miss it.)


Piñata Craze
I was really obsessed with piñatas for a week or so. Luckily, my cousin happened to have her 15th birthday that week and wanted to celebrate it quinceañera style. I made her piñata inspired numbers. And then I made a yellow and red sun/oval piñata too. Which ended up never being used so now I just have this piñata waiting to be filled with candy and then smashed. (Piñata party anyone?)

Printed shirt
I wanted to put a certain phrase from a song on a shirt. So I did. I've been in love with this song since I first heard it. I've even blogged about it before! I printed the text I wanted, transferred it to freezer paper, ironed it onto the shirt and painted with fabric paint.
I don't yet have any pictures when I'm wearing it but there might be some in the picture/I hope I remember to upload a picture.

Dress (x3)
This project started a long time ago. The first step was when I was thrift shopping in the spring (March or April?) and found a really cute vintage pattern (1972) which I bought. Months passed, and I finally had some free time in June. My sister Liv was visiting and she also thought the pattern was cute. So, it was decided that I would make a dress for myself, one for her and one for our cousin Sarah. Now follows seven easy steps for making a dress!

Step 1: Go to the fabric store to find the perfect fabric. Me and Sarah found our perfect match. Follow up with a stop at Save on Meats because it's just around the corner and there's amazing milkshakes. Shopping is tiring!
Step 2: Realize that the only other time you've actually sewed a piece of clothing was in Grade 8 when you sewed a very simple top (and you accidentally sewed one of the seams inside out. Don't ask how). Remember that your current motto is "I can do anything" and "That can't be too difficult". 

Step 3: Try to figure out how to lay out the pattern. Realize that you don't have enough fabric to law out everything as you're supposed to. Get creative and solve the problem. Duh. Cut out the pieces. This takes forever and a bit.

Step 4: Work slowly to figure things out. You kinda figure things out. You cut and you sew and pin. So many pins.

Step 5: Get to the zipper. Realize you have never, ever gotten close to attaching a zipper to fabric. Remember above mottos. Take it very slowly and succeed (after multiple attempts).
Step 6: Repeat again. And then one more time. DONE! Fact: The first dress took 3 days. The second one took one. The third one took less-ish than one day.

Step 7: Look amazing and matchy-matchy! 

If you want to you can go up to the Vancouver Lookout Tower at Harbour Centre because you're awesome friend works there and hooks you up.
Me and two of my best friends. There's 3 years between each of us. Sometimes there's a lot of confusion so just to clarify, from left to right, we're standing youngest to oldest. We're all different but at the same time, oh-so-similar. I love you both, my lil sister and my lil cousin. You make a big sis/cuz proud.
Aforementioned good friend that puts you on the Guest List for her work. Thanks Regina! 

Option Step 8: Go back to the fabric store, find the fabric you bought and take a picture while you are wearing the piece of clothing which is made of that fabric.
Ps. This picture as well as the first picture (in the fabric store) is from my sister's Instagram account.
---

Thanks for sticking through this whole post! I actually have another post in the making but I'm going to save it for a few days. Enjoy the fall weather!

Hannah


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe